Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Safe! Relaxed! Held!

Yesterday as I met with my spiritual director I experienced a profound movement of Divine Love. Surprisingly, as I explored and prayed the sadness of my dad's deteriorating health and nursing home experience, I felt deeply moved and held in God's care.





The nursing home attendants use a special lift to get my dad from the bed to the chair and the chair to the bed. As I watch this maneuver I see that it requires a significant amount of trust...trust in the machine AND the persons operating it. Literally, my dad moves through the air supported by a sling and is gently lowered and placed in bed or chair. I observe the terror on his face as he moves suspended in mid air. I lovingly and gently reassure him: "Daddy, just fold your arms across your chest. Relax. Let the sling move and hold you. YOU ARE SAFE!!! They know what they are doing. They won't drop you!!!"





In a moment of spiritual clarity and consolation I felt as though Divine Love was that "lift machine" for me!! I felt invited to trust the strong, tender "sling" of Love to hold me (and my family) at this time. I sensed the very words I speak to my dad given to me. "Just fold your arms; relax; let Me move and hold you; you are safe; you won't be dropped!!!"





I felt strengthened and my trust deepened. I renewed my desire to lean into hope-filled living. I don't want to avoid or turn away from this difficult life experience. I'll move through these days of uncertainty...safe...relaxed...held. This "graced reassurance" is for me, too!!!!!

4 comments:

Eberly's said...

What a beautiful picture! So, here we go, on a ride we've never been on before, but we are SAFE!!! Love it!!!Thanks for sharing this!

Sharon C. Landis said...

My mother is also lifted in a sling. With advanced Alzheimer's she couldn't process our reassurance the first few times, so it was quite scary for her. I continue to feel sad when watching this process, but you've given me a beautiful way to experience it. Thank you!

jane said...

Cheryl dear, you have brought a day-theme home to me this day. (this has been a reoccurring theme all day) thank you for your insight into how Jesus walks with us always inviting us into life experiences so that we may be touched by his unfailing love and grace. Keeping you and your family in prayer during this most very strange and sometimes sad time in your lives. love... Jane <3

ehkan said...

Beautiful. I needed this today. Thank you, Cheryl.